Sunday, June 30, 2013

Food: Buttermilk Cake

I've been in the mood to just bake and cook lately. I had some left over buttermilk from last week when I made brown velvet cupcakes (red velvet without the food colouring...same great taste!). I didn't want to have it go to waste, so I tried to search for other recipes to use it up. I came across just a basic vanilla buttermilk cake and that sounded good to me. It wasn't going to be that sweet, which I wanted, since the macarons have totally sky rocket my sugar intake for this week.

Of course, as a newbie in the baking world, I had to consult other blogs and websites for recipes. I came across A Cup of Jo's blog and she made a Buttermilk (Birthday) Cake. Even without frosting, my family loved it. It was just the cake we needed after the batch of macarons. 

Adapted from A Cup of Jo, you will need:

  • 1 2/3 cups of all purpose flour (I used blending flour)
  • 1/2 tsp of baking soda
  • 1 1/2 tsp of baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp of salt 
  • 3/4 cup of buttermilk
  • 2 tsp of vanilla
  • 1/2 cup of unsalted butter (at room temperature)
  • 3/4 cup of sugar
  • 3 eggs









In a medium-sized bowl, sift together the first four ingredients. Set aside.











Using a small measuring cup, mix together the buttermilk and vanilla extract and set aside.









In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, cream together the softened butter and sugar. I slowly incorporated the sugar and blending well each time.







Slowly add each egg at a time and blending well each time.









Add 1/3 of the dry ingredients into this mixture. Blend.




Add 1/3 of the buttermilk mixture. Blend.

Repeat the last two steps until you have blended all the dry ingredients and buttermilk mixture.






Line two cake pans with parchment paper. It was my first time doing this and clearly I can't cut anything near circles!





Divide the batter evenly in two and you will find the batter will be a kind of spongy consistency. I lift the cake pans up and dropped it onto the kitchen counter. Repeat a few times until the batter has, more or less, evenly cover the pan.



Pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees F. Once the oven is ready, pop them in and set the timer for 25 minutes.

AND....the end result should look something like this (welll...except that the cake will not be partially eaten):


Thanks to A Cup fo Jo for this recipe, it was truly a fantastic cake! 

-Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment